Crisp and easy-puff pastry sticks with pesto and grated cheese. A wonderful bread snack that can be served with everything from soups.
These puff pastry sticks with pesto are wonderful to serve with everything from tapas, soup, stews, starters, healthier snacks, or as an appetizer for e.g. holidays and parties. Yes, these sticks with pesto can actually be served with an incredible number of things. I usually serve them with soups, as I think they are super delicious to dip into hot soup.
The recipe is made with grated cheese, green pesto, salt, and pepper and sprinkled with sesame seeds. But you can also fill them with chili, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, spinach, or, for example, finely chopped broccoli. The possibilities are many!
Puff pastry sticks – how to do it
I start by rolling out the puff pastry into a square. Afterward, I spread the green pesto over the entire sheet of puff pastry. Add grated cheese (you can use vegan grated cheese or mozzarella here) and sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
With a rolling pin, the top is rolled completely flat (this makes it easier to work with).
Afterwards, half of the puff pastry is lifted over the other half in the middle, so that it lies double with puff pastry both at the bottom and at the top.
With a sharp knife or a pizza wheel, cut 1 cm long bars in the puff pastry.
Carefully twist the bars by holding both ends. Do it carefully so they are twisted but not broken.
Finally, place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush the puff pastry sticks with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until they are golden and crisp.
I also served them with a little extra pesto on top and a sprinkle of sea salt. Yum!
Breadsticks – accessories for soup
I served my breadsticks with this homemade spinach soup. Because I think it’s so wonderful to serve them and dip them in a hot soup.. And it also reminds me a bit of my recipe for breadsticks, which I served with this vegetable soup.
But, as I said, they can also be served with hummus, dip, and tapenade as a kind of healthier snack.
I hope you can use the recipe as inspiration for everything from soup side dishes, dinner side dishes, lunch box ideas, side dishes for small dishes, starters, and tapas.
PESTO PUFF PASTRY STICKSCourse: SnacksCuisine: Italian
Crisp and easy puff pastry sticks with pesto and grated cheese. A wonderful bread snack that can be served with everything from soup.
1 roll of puff pastry
3 tbsp. green pesto
100g. grated cheese, possibly vegan grated cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. margarine melted
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a square. Spread the green pesto over the entire sheet of puff pastry. Add grated cheese and sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
- With a rolling pin, roll the top with grated cheese completely flat (this makes it easier to work with). Lift half of the puff pastry over the other half in the middle so that it lies double.
- With a knife or a pizza wheel, cut 1 cm long bars in the puff pastry. Twist the bars so that they are twisted and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush the puff pastry sticks with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until golden and crispy